Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day 2

Woke up to it raining, which I heard was typical Belgium weather.  Spent almost an hour getting ready for the day, which was nice.  Luckily, by the time Marcela and I had finished eating, the rain had stopped, so Robyne (my host sister) biked with us down to the library.  We got a bunch of kids books and movies we could put English subtitles on.  :)

We then stopped at the bakery where my new mom was working and grabbed her bike, as Marcela was sitting on the back of Robyne's.  We biked around the village and to the one next ours, and stopped at a sandwich shop for lunch.  By then, it had started raining again, so we went home to eat.

The sandwiches were a bit different than at home.  I had one with bacon, tomato, eggs, lettuce, and what I think was chipotle sauce.  Pretty good, actually.  Then I took a nap, we had dinner, and we (meaning Marcela, Robyne and my host mom) biked to register at the city call (house of the mayor, they called it).  We needed some papers and such we didn't have, so we have to go back again tomorrow.  :/  On the way back we stopped at my host mom's parent's house, though they don't speak any English, so it was a little awkward.  Then home, asked the "first night questions" rotary gives us (when should I shower?  do I wash my own clothes?  etc), and put post-its on a few things in the kitchen so Marcela and I can start learning Dutch.  Then, watched The Emperor's New Groove in Dutch with English subs.

Now it's a little past midnight here, so time for bed!  As they say here "slaapwel"!

Edit: Wow, I was just at the Kittson County Fair a month ago.  It seems so long ago now.

No comments:

Post a Comment