Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day 4

Wow, I can't believe it's only day 4 - we've done so much!

My alarm didn't go off this morning, so I woke up like 10 minutes before we were going to leave for the bus.  I managed to get ready in time, but we decided to eat breakfast and just catch the next bus.  Of course, by the time we (Marcela, Robyne and I) got to the bus stop, the bus was just pulling in.  So, we were scrambling to lock our bikes and run to the bus and somehow we managed it.

We got off at Herentals, and then took the train to Antwerpen and from there to Brussels (we missed the train straight to Brussels >.>).  Brussels was AMAZING!  I love the old city feel, and the cobbled streets and how there was like no bike or car traffic, since there were so many people walking.  We went tons of places, saw Mannekin Pis, ate waffles, and met people from both Brasil and Philly (and the Philly folk also loved Stephen Colbert - awesome!).  Marcela and I took pictures with our flags (I forgot to bring an American flag, so I had to buy one), and it was a blast.

Marcela and I sporting our flags


Around 7 or so, we took the train back home, and Patrick (my host dad) picked us up from Herentals so we wouldn't need to buy a bus pass.  From there, we went to the grandparents to feed the cows and stand awkwardly while they tried to talk to Marcela and I in Dutch, as they don't know any English.  Then Patrick dropped us off at the bus stop in Lille, our home town, so we could bike home.

We had dinner next (at like 830pm), and while we ate I had to try to explain wild cow milking to them.  Dad, I think that at least Siemen is going to come sometime in the future to watch - he seemed to think it was really cool.  :)  Practiced trumpet a bit; my chops suck, but I could still play parts of Gypsy Skies (hey, I practiced the music for here first, but I really wanted to play it again).  Since it was around 10 by then, I stopped playing, put some pictures online, and talked to people on facebook.  Tomorrow we don't have to do anything until like 11, so I think I'm going to watch some HunterxHunter or Game of Thrones before bed, because I feel like this is going to be one of my only days with free time that's not needed sleep time.  Slaapwel!

Also, I really really miss my dogs.  I never realized how hard it would be to try and sleep without them around.

No comments:

Post a Comment