Sunday, August 14, 2011

Day 8

Zondag, Augustus 14, 2011

Woke up around 1030 today to Marcela coming in my room.  We were going to accompany Truut to the market to buy flowers, but she didn't wake us, so Marcela and I were really confused about what time it was/what was going on.  Went downstairs, had breakfast, and made little sandwiches, set up tents, and cleaned wine glasses for Robyne's goodbye party.

At 2 relatives started showing up.  Marcela and I had to bring around plates of Spanish meat balls (Spaanse vlees balletjes) to the guests, and Truut said we had to keep doing rounds until they were all gone.  So, naturally, Marcela and I ate a whole bunch of them so we could be done.  After that we made small talk with a few of the people who could speak English, and then Marcela and I went for a short walk around the neighborhood (not the block - the streets are all messed up here).  We talked a bit about home, and a bunch of other topics.  It was nice.

Back home, we sat off to the side of the party, and Robyne said if we were tired we could go nappy nappy.  Of course, we did, so from like 530-7 I slept.  By that time of the day I started to get a really bad headache, the chills - the usual feeling you get when you're sick (Dad, it was like when you go up north after being in the cities for too long).  Around 7 all of the relatives had left, so we had a quick dinner before her friend's started coming around 8.  I met my third host family (except their daughter, who was at a music camp).  They seem sooo nice - I think I will totally fit in there.  They said their daughter doesn't really like parties either, and would rather watch movies at home, and their son loves video games (yay!).  I may be going to Ghent with them in September, so that's cool.  And I may be going at the end of August as well, so that's cool as well.

Besides that, I skyped my mom and my other brother Kyle instead of going to the party downstairs with Robyne's friends.  Too much of a headache to try and understand Dutch.  And tomorrow starts "Dutch Week" apparently, where my family will only speak in Dutch.  Yay?  Thankfully I told them how sick I feel, so they'll hopefully let me sleep in (and by sleep in, I mean like 2 or 3 pm, because I need one day of just sleeping).  Watched an episode of "Game of Thrones" before bed.  Anyway, slaapwel!

Also, it appears that 68 days ago I was also feeling sick like this - headache, slow, etc.  That's really weird.  (And it's not like I just have that memorized - I do something called ohlife every night.  They send you an email every night, asking how your day went, and they send you an entry from the past.  It's pretty cool, and a great way of keeping track of what you did and whatever else you feel like writing down.  I started doing it in February, so it's cool to look back and see what I've done the past 7 months).

No comments:

Post a Comment