Sunday, December 25, 2011

Day 140

Zaterdag, 24 December 2011

Slept in, got ready for the day, packed, and then went downstairs.  I found a HUGE stash of CD's in the living room, so I spent probably close to three hours down there ripping CD's to my computer.  Skyped with my parents a little bit, gave them a tour of the house, and had them say hi to Denise and Frederik.

A bit after 5 we left for Christmas Eve at Denise's family's house.  Quite a few people there, and they ALL got gifts for each other.  That, coupled with the fact the party had quite a few courses (appetizers, then a small course, then the main meal, then a cheese plate, then pie, then chocolate), made it a long party.  We would eat a bit, then the little kids would grab from the pile of presents and hand some out for like 40 minutes, then more food.  Oh, and did I mention that the little little kids only spoke French?  The night was basically all the in French.  Thank goodness I was sitting next to my host siblings and their dates (and all of them went on exchange!).

But it was a really nice night.  Some of the family members gave me gifts too!  I got a scarf, gloves, and hat from Denise and Frederik, a box of chocolate from the grandparents, earrings from my host brother's girlfriend, a box of candy from a relative, and a book about Belgium (in Dutch, French, English and German) from another relative.  Great fun, and so sweet of them.  They really didn't need to do that.

Got home around 1am or so, and then I skyped my real family and my neighbors, which was also a lot of fun. Completely different atmosphere than the whole fancy family party, but it was one I felt more comfortable in.  I got a great screengrab from the call - the neighbor's kids decided to play nerf wars while we were talking once I started talking to the grown-ups.  I thought it was pretty hilarious.


Ended the call fairly early, seeing as how I leave for France in the morning.  And on that note - I leave for France in the morning.  I don't know if there is any internet there, so there many not be any updates on this until January.  If not, Happy New Year everyone/ Gelukkig Nieuwjaar iedereen!

Anyway, by the time anyone reads this it'll probably be Christmas, so:
Merry Christmas everyone!
Vrolijk Kerstfeest iedereen!
Frohe Weihnachtenl
Joyeux Nöel
Wesołych Świąt
Feliz Navidad
Feliz Natal
Felice Natale
Glædelig jul
God jul
Hyvää joulua

No comments:

Post a Comment